Welcome

Real Canadian Politics is our political blog, where we talk about recent happenings in the political world.
Cole also has a personal blog.

Friday, August 6, 2010

PM completes minor cabinet shuffle

The Prime Minister has completed a minor cabinet shuffle today in an effort to replace Jay Hill, the retiring Government House Leader. Former Minister of Transport John Baird replaces Hill as Leader of the Government in House of Commons, while former Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development Chuck Strahl replaces Baird as Minister of Transport. Former Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development John Duncan has been promoted to cabinet to replace Strahl.

I understand why Harper would promote Strahl to Transport, as he has done a relatively good job by this Government's standards. And I fully understand why Harper would appoint Duncan as Minister, as he is already familiar with the portfolio, and he is riding in BC should help with the poll numbers.

What I personally can't understand is why John Baird has been promoted to Government House Leader. From my experience, watching Baird during Question Period and in committee meetings, he is one of the most stubborn, uncooperative, and downright trouble causing Conservatives I have ever seen. I can't comment on how he is off camera as I have never seen him there, but on camera he seems to be the last person I would choose for House Leader. The only thing he has going for him is that he is pretty knowledgeable with parliamentary procedure, despite choosing to ignore it at times.

With the exception of Baird as House Leader, it was a pretty boring cabinet shuffle, and as such I think it will have very little effect on the polls.

No comments:

Post a Comment